Infection Control Statement
The annual statement will be generated each year in March.
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure.
- The annual infection control audit summary and actions undertaken.
- Control risk assessments undertaken.
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention and control.
- Details of infection control advise to patients.
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines.
Sheet Street Surgery Lead for Infection Prevention /Control is Trish Hasson (practice nurse), who is supported by Paula Jones (practice manager)
This team keep updated with infection prevention and control practices and share necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past year March 2017 to March 2018 there have been no significant events that related to infection prevention and control.
Regular risk assessments are undertaken to minimise the risk of infection and to ensure the safety of patients and staff. The following risk assessments related to infection prevention and control have been completed in the past year and appropriate actions have been taken:
New staff members joined Sheet Street Surgery in the past 12 months and received infection control and hand washing training within 2 months of employment.
100% of the practice clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention and control update training
100% of the practice non-clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention and control update training.
The infection control leads attended training updates annually for their role provided by Michaela Hooper (the infection prevention and control nurse for Berkshire West CCGs).
Infection Control Advice To Patients
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout the surgery.
There are leaflets available in the Sheet Street Surgery on:
- Chickenpox & shingles
- The importance of immunisations
- Recognising symptoms of TB
Policies, Procedures And Guidelines
Documents related to infection prevention and control are reviewed in line with national and local guidance changes and are updated 2 yearly (or sooner in the event on new guidance).